How to Collaborate on Social Media in 2022 to Drive Business Growth
What Does Social Media Collaboration Mean?
Social media collaboration, also known as co-marketing, involves combining forces with other brands or organizations and coming up with a mutually beneficial campaign to reach new audiences, drive revenue and build brand awareness. In general, the collaborating companies usually share similar audiences or work within the same industry. As a result, they share equal responsibilities when it comes to the campaign’s legwork as well as the promotional efforts involved. The most popular types of these joint campaigns include:
This is where both brands agree to promote each other to their social media followers. For example, one brand can include a link to the other’s website on their blog, while the other can share the first brand’s social media post with their followers.
Here, both brands collaborate on creating a piece of content, such as an infographic or blog post, which is then published on both websites.
As the name suggests, this type of social media collaboration involves one brand taking over another’s social media profile for a day or longer. This is usually done to promote an upcoming event or product launch.
These are social media contests or sweepstakes that require participants to follow both brands on social media and complete other actions, such as using a specific hashtag, to enter.
Shoutouts and Endorsements
A shout-out is when one brand mentions another on social media, often with a link to their website or profile. An endorsement is when a brand recommends another’s product or service on social media.
7 Reasons to Collaborate with Other Businesses on Social Media
Now that you know what social media collaboration is, let’s take a look at some of the reasons why it can be beneficial for businesses:
Step-by-Step Guide on Planning a Social Media Collaboration
So, how do you start collaborating on social media? Here are the steps you should take:
Tips For Promoting Your Collaborative Campaign
If you want to make the most out of your brand partnerships, you need to be able to promote them effectively on social media. Here are a few tips to help you do just that:
- Create teasers and announcement posts to hype up your joint project. Get creative with your content and experiment with different formats, such as video or infographics. Here’s a simple Tweet example from Taco Bell from their collaboration with Doritos:
- Post behind-the-scenes content leading up to the launch of your collaboration. This will create a sense of anticipation and excitement that will encourage people to follow along. Also, make sure to post regular updates during your collaboration. This will keep people engaged and ensure that they don’t forget about your campaign.
- You can also use paid ads to promote your collaborative campaign on social media. This is a great way to reach a larger audience and ensure that your content is seen by people who are interested in what you’re doing.
- Be sure to use relevant hashtags so your target audiences can easily find your content. In addition, use branded hashtags to promote your partnership and make it easy for people to follow along.
- If applicable, use compelling CTA’s to funnel social traffic to a specific branded landing page.
Ideas for Collaborative Campaigns on Social Media
Social media collaboration can be a great way to reach new audiences, promote your products or services, and create valuable content. However, it’s not right for every brand. Before you commit to a collaborative campaign, make sure that it makes sense for your business goals and that you have the time and resources necessary to execute it successfully.
If you decide to go ahead with a social media collaboration, following the tips in this post will help you set your campaign up for success. Just remember to have fun and be creative! When done right, collaborating with other brands can be a rewarding experience that helps you achieve your business goals.
You can download our free social media marketing e-book to learn more about leveraging social media for business success.